Education Week announced that the final version of the common academic standards was published on June 2, 2010. The final version is the result of months of colarboration by education experts led by the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers. The standards reflect what the experts consider to be the knowledge and skills that students should have in mathematics and English/language arts in order to be college-and-career ready at the time of high school graduation. The Introduction to the Common Core State Standards states the criteria used to develop the standards are:
- Aligned with college and work expectations;
- Inclusive of regorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
- Designed to build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
- Informed by top-performing countries so that all students are prepared to succeed in the global economy and society; and
- Evidence and/or research-based.
The final common standards can be downloaded using the link below.